Wednesday, August 1, 2012

New [School] Year Resolutions

So like any teacher, there are definitely things that I KNOW I need to work on to make sure next year goes off without a hitch. However, as a new teacher, I also know that I need to be realistic in my resolutions so not to give myself a panic attack every time something goes wrong. 

Here's an opportunity for me to set my goals in public in attempts at actually keeping them! Amanda over at Teaching Maddeness is hosting a New School Year Resolution linky party where you state resolutions for the upcoming teaching year. So here are mine!

Resolution #1: Don't go bankrupt! This is my first year teaching so of course I'm starting from scratch. I don't have any school supplies in reserves and I need to basically create a learning environment that is conducive and safe within the next two weeks. No pressure right? I swipe my debit card as if I have endless funds even though that is not the case. So, my resolution is to prioritize, do I really NEED those extra packs of sticky notes? Not really, though I do WANT them. 

Resolution #2: Take it a day at a time. I am a serious perfectionist (aren't we all), so when I was doing my student teacher I attempted to be planned almost a week ahead of time. Now I know that is an unrealistic expectation to have for myself now that I'm starting my very first year of teaching. I need to learn to live in the present instead of the future, which is one of my greatest personality flaws. 

Resolution #3: Don't be afraid to ask for help. Last year during my Master's/Student Teaching I almost had a mental breakdown because I was attempting to do everything by myself. I pride myself in my ability to do pretty much everything without asking for help, but sometimes that is not the best policy. This year I'm going to do my best to take it slowly and remember that even though I might feel like I know everything, I definitely don't. 

Resolution #4: Take some time for yourself(myself). Everyone always says that nothing is as stressful as your first year. Well, being on the cusp of my first year, I'm trying to get into the mindset of that being a reality. I'm going to set a time at the beginning of the year and when that time comes, I'm going to walk out of my classroom and go home/the gym/the bfs house, what have you, so I can get a fresh start for the next day. 

So that about sums it up! Come and join the party!

3 comments:

  1. That is all good advice. Good luck on your first year! I look forward to hearing how it goes!

    Adventures in Room 5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up to the party, Amanda! You have some great resolutions that we could all work on, I think! My husband would totally agree with #1 right about now! ;) Hope your first year is a terrific one!


    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda. Your blog is adorable. I just came across it. I'm a 24 year old 5th grade teacher, so we have some things in common :) Stop by my blog sometime!

    Courtney
    flockingtofifth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete